Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Value Driven Livin'

Value Driven Livin', that's what coaching is teaching me. I am excited because I have the privilege of coaching two clients this afternoon and I can't wait to hear them, I mean really hear what is important to them.  When people speak, whatever the topic, chances are they are trying to get a point across. Sometimes, more often than not, there is a repeated theme.  In the listening, I have several options as coach.  I can check out by filling in the blanks in my head based on a previous recounting of a story; I can look for a problem and scramble in my head for a brilliant solution; I have the option of going to Florida in my head to dodge the detailed listening required; these are just a few options and as coach, I have at least one more option!  I can listen for a feeling, an emotion, a hint of what the client needs someone to hear about what is important to them, right here, right now.  This is a fine art and I am being finely tuned and this is where I want to live, in nuance, subtly and delightful expectation of really hearing in words what makes a clients heart sing or skip a beat...ooooow, this is the substance of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment