Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Shameless Promotion

Years ago, someone called me a "shameless self promoter".  I took this label with a grain of salt because of the source~a clever witty woman who tried out lines to see if they stick or how they impact others; the impact was that it didn't strike me as true, because that is not how I see myself, nor do I believe it is how others see me.  I am shameless, bold, audaciously vocal when I BELIEVE in someone and I go to extreme lengths to express my belief, sometimes at the expense of their discomfort. I'm not the only one. Today, I had the pleasure of coaching one of my new super bright coaching colleague friends during a supervised triad call. There is a review form that the call participants use to debrief and give feedback to the coach and evaluate how the coach performed based on the CTI model. The concrete feedback is a gift to the group, because strengths and weaknesses are clearly defined when each category is discussed and whether your role is coach, client or observer during the call, learning definitely happens. The supervisor asked me to give ONLY my solid pluses in each category initially, and this made me stop dead in my tracks, because rarely, if ever, are we permitted in this life to focus strictly, solely, purposefully on the solid pluses, the good stuff that we do right. I sat up tall and said ok and I honestly and shamelessly assessed my coaching based on the CTI model and promoted myself , in my own mind, my own heart, my own soul and then I spoke the words, giving myself a 7/10 rating overall.  Inge the supervisor encouraged me to be fair to myself and insisted I give myself this gift~she took a stand for me, when I was inclined to be a lot less kind in my own self evaluation.  Coaching, one of the greatest gifts you can get or give.

No comments:

Post a Comment