Friday, August 30, 2013

All Grown Up

"How do you thank someone, who has taken you from crayons to perfume?  It isn't easy but I'll try."  These are the words playing in my head, they belong to Lulu, and the song To Sir with Love. I have always loved this song, it speaks of growth, from childish things of pleasure to grown up exquisite appreciation of the finer things.  Each stage is precious, with the learning happening naturally for the child and for the fortunate adult, there is a conscious awareness of growth, a knowing that childish things can be put aside and the savouring of the subtle more delicate and essence soaked "things" can and are felt, breathed in, uttered.  I was a baby coach, playing with the toys, the tools of coaching, wanting to grow up and be like my masterful counter parts.  Today, I am coach, a fully fledged grown up, with mastery of parts of me, a refinement of the skills and tools, and no longer playing at being a coach for the day I will grow up. This week, this very day, I graduate from toddler to adult...I did not get here alone, many held my hand as I stood for the first time, many picked me up and held me close when I fell, many watched as I took my first tentative steps and stood, hands clasped, hoping for me, longing for me to keep on going, believing and knowing I could and would and I am.  In the eyes and hearts and words and hopes of many, I have seen and heard who I am and who I am meant to be and I  weep with tears of utter gratitude for their gifts to me...my joy overflows, and I am complete.  Susan Morel, my Grace sister, this one is dedicated to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment