Saturday, March 18, 2017

Race Cars

Have you ever fancied yourself to be a race car driver? There is a long stretch of road that I have travelled thousands of times. In my youth, I expertly wove in and out of traffic, anticipating which lane would be the fastest. Heart and engine racing, I edged my way into spaces between cars, looking for the next spot up ahead to slip quickly and smoothly into. Checking the time, I gauged my speedy success based on my last personal best. I enjoyed the split second decisions, the thrill of the speed and the adrenaline of the dangerous game I was playing. Close calls gave me moments of pause when I would wonder, is this a good idea? Maybe the stakes are a little too high? I stopped "playing" the game many years ago and when I see another imaginary race car driver on the same road, I hear myself say, I remember when...

I have a race car driver mind. I used to believe that I was clever, that if I thought fast enough, spoke soon enough, I could weave in and out of the minds of others, finding the fast lane to solutions. With quick words that followed on the heels of quick mental calculations, I was a powerful energy moving machine. Just like cutting in and out of traffic with my car never really hurt anyone that I knew of, I believed my words were the same. They could zip in and out of the traffic of the mind of others without impact or injury. Unimportant really, said and then gone. I understand the expression throwing caution to the wind. There are no brakes in this mentality, it is pedal to the metal at break neck speeds when racing ahead recklessly, sometimes carelessly. It is when my words have come back to me, the ones I did not choose but definitely came out of my mouth that I have that moment of pause, the one that has me thinking, maybe the stakes are a little too high? What if you slow down and choose what you want your message to be? What if you slow down and give others the right of way? What if...What about you Dear One? What about your words, your message? What if you slow down and consider your impact? What if we all did? What if...?

No comments:

Post a Comment