Monday, March 27, 2017

God Gets the Job Done

I am laughing at the concept of God getting the God done. An image of Mrs. Doubtfire popped into my mind. The character in this movie became truth and kindness disguised as a nanny for a broken family in need. At the root of the message is a supplanting of self for the benefit and sake of others. This means that we deny our own needs, desires, wants, demands for acknowledgement and approval by putting others first. This can only happen when we ourselves are whole and healthy, Dear Reader. In other words, if our needs, desires and wants have not been met, we may very well be demanding them from the people we encounter, in strange and wanton ways. This is known as projection, defined as: the unconscious transfer of one's desires or emotions to another person. If projection is happening in the life of a would be helper, it may render him/her haphazard and perhaps even useless at times, in the service of other(s). God getting the job done is interesting because He has made a request of us, that we trust in Him by accepting His Son as the propitiation (this means winning or regaining Gods favour because it pleases Him to know that we have accepted His Son as Saviour) for our sins. In so doing, we, meaning the driver in me and the driver in you to self satisfy, is replaced by something far more valuable and worthy of our attention. The Holy Spirit! Forgive me if this seems an oversimplification but it is the only way for this simple Christ follower to explain. God gets the job done when I get out of the way and ask Him to use me well. When I give myself over to Him and say I trust you have the best, coolest, most heart racing wonderful plan, suddenly I am living it! I am fearlessly living it now Dear Reader. By keeping my eyes on Him, my ears open to The Spirit and modelling Christ in the world, I get to serve you, my husband, my son, family, friends, neighbours, the hungry the poor the downtrodden the the the...it isn't work, it is delight. My burden is light because God does all the heavy lifting, I just move a pebble or two! Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Jesus asks us to come to him with our weariness, our burdens. He wants to lighten the load for us Dear One. No human could possibly offer this because they cannot even guarantee it for themselves. It is Christ alone, God Himself that can make such bold promises. Go to Him first for your own help and soon enough, you will be rendered able to help another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment