Thursday, March 2, 2017

Compunctious Nature

Compunction is defined as: a feeling of guilt or moral scruple that prevents or follows the doing of something bad. 

Do you feel guilt, dear reader? How about your scruples, defined as: a feeling of doubt or hesitation with regard to the morality or propriety of a course of action. Are your scruples feeling violated because of a course of action you have taken or are considering, taking? 

I had a good heart to heart with myself this morning and had an experience of self observation, that revealed parts of me that feel on the questionable side. As observer, I could see these identities that have taken up space in my character, that are incongruent with my scruples, morals, values, belief system. 

These "others" inside of me were vying for time, wanting attention, and taking up precious space in my psyche. Taking a good hard uncompromising look, helped me see that I get to root out the parts of me that are incongruent with my ultimate personality and character development goals. 

Are you working on your own personality and character development dear one? It is a life long project of painful and freeing discovery and growth, is it not? What parts of you are you wanting to root out? I will tell you mine now, in the hopes that you get out some of that gumption of yours, and courageously decide to have your own private heart to heart intervention!

Here, in a nutshell, are my "others" that don't belong: The critical eye and the needy one. 

These characters have been tenacious, and have alternated between hiding in the wings, and taking centre stage whenever opportunity presents itself. They are the least likeable parts of me and as observer, I know they are not at all me. 

It is a strange thing, recognizing that how we think and behave are and are not us, all in the same moment? It is an awareness that allows for choice and change, a decision to be different as "they" shrink, and Spirit grows. I know that when I am being critical of myself or others, or when I am needing the approval of man, this is when I am farthest from God. The "others" keep me self occupied causing guilt, with a sense of assault, to my morals. Fortunately, I feel compunction and from this point onward, self assessment and moral course correction takes place. 

Keeping internal dialogue open means I can hear Gods voice. I can hear Him asking me
  • Is this what you really believe? 
  • Is this who you really are? 
I know better, I want better for you, return to Me and I will abide in you." John 15:5 "If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit." 

Your turn, dear reader:
  • What "others" have taken up uninvited residence in your heart, soul, psyche?
  • How important is it to your personality and character development to root them out? 
The real you that God sees, is waiting to permanently take centre stage, for His glory and in service of humanity. 

Have your private heart to heart today, why wait? 

No comments:

Post a Comment