Saturday, March 25, 2017

Catch Up

I see the smile on his face broaden

I have this image of Jesus. He is in a half turn, head slightly tilted downward, right robed arm reaching back, hand beckoning. He has a sweet smile on his face and his eyes welcome. Wordlessly He invites, come, follow me. He is ahead of me on the path and I want to catch up. He is waiting for me, frozen in place, giving me time to close the gap at my own pace. He could come back and get me but that would be too easy for both of us. He knows I must travel to Him on my own, perhaps trip over pebbles unseen, stumble and fall when my foot catches on a tuft of unruly grass. We both know I have to want this. I want to catch up and walk with him. He patiently waits. I see the smile on his face broaden. He knows, it is just a matter of time. I am gaining on him and he delights in my pursuit. My pace quickens. I have been praying, requesting, learning, growing, trusting, and faithfully following. His ways are The Way and I am led in silent encouragement.

Impatience is laden with expectations

Follow the Good Shepard
Years ago I asked for the gift of patience dear reader. Recently, I asked to learn about love. The request to be a love expert taught me that without patience, love is nearly impossible to demonstrate in relationship. I can say with confidence that impatience was a character flaw in me. I was impatient with myself and with others. Impatience is laden with expectations and unspoken desired outcomes. It can be pushy and harsh, acting as a repellant to personal, professional, emotional and spiritual growth. When I asked to learn how God loves, he started to deliver in the most astounding ways. The painful self discoveries have me freeing myself from patterns imprinted and picked up along the way that run counter to the love that God has for each of us. He nudges me here, points over there, directing my attention to see what he sees. And he waits for me to catch up!

Now lets look at you dear one. What is your request? What do you want to ask him for? He is waiting on the path just ahead of you, turning toward you, beckoning come follow me. Take a step keeping your eyes on him. Another one now, and another, and another...

No comments:

Post a Comment