Friday, March 24, 2017

Complacency

Off the hook feeling

I looked up the definition of complacency and was rather surprised-you might be too dear reader. It means: a feeling of smug or uncritical satisfaction with oneself or one's achievements. Interesting. I thought it meant to just relax and let whatever happens happen in a sluggish lazy way. To comply with non activity and allow what is to continue. Have you been complacent as defined by the dictionary?

With or without my active input changes are rapid, results extreme

Upon reading the definition I have a new appreciation for how complacency has played out in my life. I can see how easy it can be to tell myself that I have done my part, done all I can do for now and feel a sense of satisfaction that I can rest and perhaps not only rest, but really relax and get comfy. It is an off the hook I have punched the time clock feeling that my work is done for the day and I can pick up again tomorrow where I left off. Life doesn't work this way. What I have learned is that with or without my active input, changes are rapid and results can be extreme. A person or people along with situations can become almost unrecognizable while I lay resting, sleeping. It is stupor dear one, the slumber that steals us away from alive diligence-a lie that says good job, now off you go to play.


You must get up!
"How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep?" (Proverbs 6:9).

I like the fact that God in his wisdom gave our bodies a clock. Day becomes night and our bodies prepare for rest-metabolic rate slows and blood pressure drops. As the skies darken, eye lids droop and close, sleep is imminent. Without sleep, illness and death are real threats. In our beds we are immobile, despite dreams that suggest we are flying, working or running through streets and fields. It is in sleep that we are truly off the hook. Not responsible for our time, duty less as it were.

Our time card is already punched

With the rising of the sun, we are called to awaken, come alive in a conscious and active way. Our time starts when our eyes open. Our time card is already punched and we are on the clock. Our time is sold, bought and paid for with blood, the blood of Christ.

"We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure. We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised" (Hebrews 6:11-12).

I want my inheritance. I want to imitate the faithful and patient ones who have gone before me, setting perfect examples. What about you? How has complacency tipped the scale in favour of failure in your life? And now this: are you willing to be awakened and diligently working as one of his own? Consider this ominous statement: Your time has already started and the clock is running. Time waits for no one dear reader. Whatever will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment