Saturday, March 11, 2017

Jacob & Israel

Unsavoury quality of deceptiveness

Masked and ready to wrestle
For the past several days, my hips have moved in and out of their sockets. At random I experience periodic hip relocation. I have had to move or stand to click one or the other hip back into place. While driving, I felt again the strange hip out of place discomfort. As I shifted in my seat to put things back where they belong I said to God "I don't want to be Jacob God! I give, I give!" The story of Jacob is a poignant one that I can relate to and perhaps, you can too dear reader? It is the classical story of the striving of man to succeed, utilizing his own influence via deception and manipulation to make gains at the expense of his fellow man, at the expense of his own brother. Jacob was named Jacob meaning "heel grasper" because his little hand was gripping his twin brothers heel as he made his exit from the womb first. As Jacob grew, "The name became proverbial for the unsavoury quality of deceptiveness." (This note is taken from my NIV Study Bible). You have only to read the story to see if perhaps, you have an affinity with one or more of the characters in this real life history of our ancestors.

Intrigue is man made

The intrigue is man made. Running in the back ground is the eternal story of Gods ordinances, his requests to trust in him and his plan. Alas, we would have no stories at all, except ones of pure joy and delight if we were to follow where he leads. Perhaps, this is far too boring for us dear one? I mean really, what is life without havoc and the horror of human hacking into human? Back to Jacob.

Wrestling with God

There is a river crossing in the story. Jacob is returning home and has fear of retaliation in his heart. He supplanted his brother and wants peace and forgiveness from him, knowing that what he really deserves is decimation. Jacob is alone and a man appears. They wrestle all night and the man touches Jacob in the hip socket, wrenching it. Jacob refuses to let the man go until he is blessed. This is crucial for Jacob and for the future of a nation.

"The man asked him, "What is your name?" "Jacob," he answered. Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome." Jacob said, "Please tell me your name." But he replied, "Why do you ask my name?" Then he blessed him there. So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared" (Genesis 32:27-31).

Jacob walked with a limp for the rest of his days, a reminder and warning to him (and to all) that if God had wanted to, He could have done far worse to Jacob. God, our Good God, always has redemptive plans for us, far grander than we can possibly imagine.

Man is not your enemy, you may be your own worst enemy

Your name, it means something. Maybe, it matches who you are. On the other hand, perhaps it is time for a new one that matches the person you have been designed by God to be, the one you are becoming? Go to the river, cross over it. Trust God to lead the way to his way. Man is not your enemy, in fact, you may be your own worst enemy. It does not have to be. You can be different. You can be what God sees in you. You don't have to walk with a metaphorical limp for the rest of your days. Stop wrestling with God, tell him "I give".

May you be richly blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment