Monday, March 13, 2017

Pigeonholed

To be pigeonholed means: a category, typically an overly restrictive one, to which someone or something is assigned. Have you, Dear Reader, ever felt categorized, assigned to a restrictive position and point of view by another or even, many others? Guilty, I am guilty of pigeonholing and God forgive me, I am learning my way out of this myopic way of looking at people. Eyes can be like heat seeking missiles on a destroy mission-mine look for beauty but are often drawn to flaw. Romans 7:14-15 "We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate to do." This is the battle that wages inside of us Dear One, the wanting to be of God and the reality of being in bodies with sinful natures. Purity fights along side, calling us to higher ground while our earthly inclinations keep us tethered to our own shortsighted ways. Thankfully, this is a common human experience, the desire to be and do what is good, pure, right and true and failing miserably and repeatedly. It is and always has been relational, this great divide. It is how we love or hate, accept or reject, welcome or turn our backs on each other that has us in the thick of intimate delightful relationship or its hellish ugly twin of cruelty to another. When we put someone into a category we put ourselves into one too. Romans 7:21-25 "So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law in my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God-through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin." Let us be really clear. We all have our deviant ways, you know, the ones that we try to hide from others and even ourselves. You know what your ways are Dear Reader, they are for you to assess and confess. The heat seeking missile I spoke of earlier is a dart to the heart. God will reveal our greatest weaknesses and take us out of ourselves, helping us see with His eyes if we so desire. Is this, Dear One, what you desire, to see yourself and others with His all seeing loving eyes? Love is our greatest conquest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment