Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Alice Saddy

Tonight I had the pleasure of attending a 40th anniversary. The Alice Saddy association celebrated 40 years of supporting adults with development disabilities. I am a board member, and while I believed I could contribute in some way when I joined the board, what I learned is that I have grown in so many ways from being associated with such an exceptional organization.  Each and every supported adult is seen as naturally creative resourceful and whole by ALL of the staff and volunteers. Persona does not exist in this egoless mini society, this microcosm of loving, generous, genuine kindness and love, a bit of Heaven on earth.  I have been supported; I have learned self exceptance and non-judgment, from being in and amongst some of the most beautiful human beings I have ever met. Alice Saddy, a legacy exists because of your love for those who most needed empowerment, who most needed to be encouraged and given support to live independent and productive lives...you left too soon, as your daughter said during her speech tonight, but I know your view from Heaven is far prettier than the one from here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment