Sunday, June 5, 2022

Being a Christian

If I were to simplify what being a Christian is, I would say it is desiring what God wants for us, and trusting Him in all circumstances.

Last night I woke up in a slight fright, a tiny fit of panic. The commandment is to be anxious for nothing, and I was, anxious perhaps, for nothing, no thing, no good reason. But it didn't feel that way at the time of my awakening; it felt dire and desperate, and I did what I know works every time, I prayed. Quickly what temporarily terrified dissipated, and sleep returned. 

This is a state of being for me, and perhaps you too, have experienced this oddity? this alternating between chaos and calm, the one instigated by unseen forces, the other a quiet request of the soul that is troubled, and then soothed by the God that never leaves our side. These forces are ever present, and the sensitive cannot help but have a heightened awareness that the battle ensues, compassing us about. 

I am still reading the Psalms daily as part of my Bible in a year plan. Some of the psalms leave me where I am, not moved in one direction or another, but then, praise be to God, bam, I get hit with what I have been craving, needing, wanting, hoping for. In times of trouble, Christians have the understanding that we get to ask God for what we desire, without apology. Being honest with God is the only option, because, dear reader, He knows what we are thinking and feeling at all times already. Why not just tell it like it is? Why not come clean with Him, and say what is on your mind, and in your heart? Pretending to be perfectly nice and sweet, smiley and forever mercifully gracious, is disingenuous and dangerously deceptive, causing dissonance and soul fracture. Being upfront and honest with God can deliver a person from spirit ache to wondrous relief. 

Psalm 140 was the truth I needed to read from another Christian. I hope it is helpful for you too.

Deliver me, O LORD, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man: Which imagine mischiefs in their heart; continually are they gathered together for war. They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison is under their lips (Psalm 140:1-3)

Dear reader, in the middle of the night, this was the panic that awoke me, this sense that evil and violent men that imagine mischief in their hearts, are continually plotting and planning war. And they are! The battle rages and the forces of evil froth and foam as they glome, gathering struggle from their frenetic frenzy. The taste of blood has them thirsting for more, and the discerning detect their presence. 

Is it not true, that the forked of tongue serpentine speakers with cameras trained on them, spew poison perpetually, with words sharp and venomous? These evil ones are world wide and shameless.

Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from the violent man; who have purposed to overthrow my goings (Psalm 140:4)

The prayer continues in the same vein, with a request to be kept safe from the hands of the wicked, to be preserved from violent men. Do notice, dear one, that these men want to purposefully overthrow the goings, the way that the writer wants to travel. Evil interrupts and God intercedes ... know this, believe this, trust in this truth. 

The proud have hid a snare for me, and cords; they have spread a net by the wayside; they have set gins for me (Psalm 140:5)

A snare to fall into, cords to be bound with; a net by the wayside and a gin, or noose ... dear reader, the evil of our day have done what is described here. In their scheming, they do what their ancestors of old inclined toward; namely, setting traps for other humans, binding them and ultimately, taking life. If you are still with me here, you know of what I speak. Trapping and killing humans is a sport for the demonically driven. Knowing this is crucial, in order to avoid and evade their snares and gins.

I said unto the LORD, Thou art my God: hear the voice of my supplications, O LORD. O GOD the LORD, the strength of my salvation, thou hast covered my head in the day of battle. Grant not, O LORD, the desires of the wicked: further not his wicked device; lest they exalt themselves (Psalm 140:6-8)

The psalmist declares the LORD as my God, and calls out his supplications: he is begging earnestly, humbly, to be heard! He calls the LORD his strength and salvation, and he knows that in the battle of the mind, there is also a battle for the soul, and that God is the cover, the protector in times of trouble. He not only asks for mighty coverage, he asks that the desires of the wicked be thwarted, so that they could not exalt themselves in puffed up pride over the successes of their scheming. 

This is exactly what the faithful find so repugnant, isn't it, dear reader? The self aggrandized smugness on the faces of those that have accomplished the goal of not only setting traps, but people falling in en masse. It pains us to witness, not just because of the disguising smirking of the evil ones, but because of the loss of life for the unsuspecting. 

As for the head of those that compass me about, let the mischief of their own lips cover them. Let burning coals fall upon them: let them be cast into the fire; into deep pits that they rise not up again. Let not an evil speaker be established in the earth: evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow him (Psalm 140:9-11)

Upon reading this prayer request my heart responds with an echo. Why oh why, would someone want to set a trap, bind, and then place a noose around the neck of another? Why would someone wait by the wayside for an innocent traveler to happen along, so that they can kill them for the thrill of taking life? Why? In the verses above, the psalmist knows these people exist and want him dead. He asks that what they want to do to him, happens to them. Good can see evil, it is not to be ignored. Knowing it exists and understanding it, are two different things. It is incomprehensible to me, and I hope to you too, dear reader, to want to plot and plan murder. 

This is a declaration: evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow him

I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and the right of the poor. Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name: the upright shall dwell in thy presence (Psalm 140:12-13)

Dear reader, in the middle of the night, I called out to God when trouble shook me awake. It took but a moment to clear the cobwebs and declare Thou art my God, just as the psalmist does repeatedly in numerous ways. The threat is real, but the strength of my Saviour is powerful, and as I stated above, Evil interrupts and God intercedes ... know this, believe this, trust in this truth. 

Being a Christian is desiring what God wants for us, and trusting Him in all circumstances, day, and night.

No comments:

Post a Comment