Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Backing Up While Looking Forward

Today I was backing my car up into a parking spot and in my head I heard a screechy needle on a record sound of backup and it crossed my mind that if I didn't look where I was going, I might hit something. Since my eyes were looking in the direction I was travelling, the likelihood of hitting anything was reduced but what if I was backing up and looking forward? Strange thought?  I don't think it is because this is exactly what happens when we look to the past when trying to move forward in the present, it's a stumbling hazard.  I recall a time I went to Costco with my friend Karen, I was chattering away to her and then bam, got violently stopped in my tracks as the side of my head came in contact with a steel support beam.  A man close by saw the hit and quickly said "be careful where you're going", my sarcastic response was "you say that now, after the fact?".  This is laughable because I was all alone, that's right, while I had been mindlessly babbling to my friend, she had stopped to look at something, clearly without my awareness!  What's my point you ask?  Forward movement necessitates keeping your eyes focused in the direction you are traveling, this allows you to see obstacles, stumbling blocks, fast lanes.  When visiting the past, make it just that, a quick visit for learning sake, because no matter how hard you try to rewrite history, it just won't happen and can cause your now to be filled with bumps and unnecessary bruises.

No comments:

Post a Comment