Sunday, January 12, 2014

Frogs and Scorpions

There once was a frog and a scorpion.  Being a naturally great swimmer, the scorpion requested of the frog a ride across the river on the frogs back. Looking the scorpion in the eye, the frog stated "I will not give you a ride to the other side, you are a scorpion and you will sting me".  Not to be put off, the scorpion replied "well I can't swim, why would I sting you, we would then both drown".  Unconvinced, the frog again refused the request, to which the scorpion appealed "look, I don't want to die, I simply want a ride to the other side of the river, I promise not to sting you if you give me a ride". This seemed to make sense to the frog and with the promise in place and abit of trepidation, he agreed to giving the scorpion the ride. The scorpion climbed onto the frogs back and off they went. Things were going swimmingly (pun intended) when about half way across the river, the frog felt the unmistakeable pain of a sting in his back.  Knowing that the scorpion had stung him, he asked in disbelief "you stung me, why would you sting me, now we are both going to die"  The scorpions reply?  "I'm a scorpion, it's in my nature".  Here is a line for you to ponder:  disposition determines direction which determines destination. Within this story we have two dispositions. The vile disposition of a self serving scorpion whose direction was on doing evil, misusing another for personal gain and ultimately destined for death. Than we have the giving sharing nature of the frog, whose direction is toward service and disposition is of trusting others when giving their word, whose destination was also death, because the frog did not trust his own instincts, his own knowing, his own nature. While the frog believed that the scorpion was reformed, that given his promise he would not sting temporarily for the sake of both of their lives, what he failed to look for was transformation, a change in nature in the scorpion gaurenteeing that the promise to not sting was a viable liveable promise and not just empty words to convince the frog to do what the scorpion wanted him to do.  The frog was at choice in the story and he did choose, several times, moving from conviction to being convinced, going against what he knew was good for him. I say swim away sweet froggie, go be with your other sweet froggie friends, those who understand you, love you for your beautiful green skin and lovely fit froggie legs.  Hop away from stinging scorpions and let them sting you no more!

No comments:

Post a Comment