Wednesday, September 21, 2022

We all tell 'em

You know you have a liar living inside of you?!

We all tell lies. How is that for a statement of fact? Does it make you wonder about the lies you tell, or have you denying this rude suggestion? You know you have a liar living within you, don't you, dear reader? Come with me to the dark side ... or is it the little white lie side, of our inner workings.

Find here some interesting data to consider: 

1. We lie on average, ten times daily
2. When we lie or have been lied to, verification of the facts can be sought
3. We think in concepts, with belief systems that determine whether or not lying is appropriate for the situations we find ourselves in
4. Lying is manipulation: when we lie, we are attempting to manipulate what other people think about us
5. We are always listening for truth and lies: we hear ourselves, we hear the other person, and we are deciding quickly between sentences whether or not we are going to speak the truth and whether or not we are hearing the truth
6. We want to believe one another so we make allowance for others when they seem to be telling the truth
7. Liars oversell; they explain a little too much and they don't answer questions directly with yes or no
8. Innocent people deny guilt: it is the most important thing, to declare innocence, when wrongly accused
9. Liars attack accusers; they avoid and evade, turning the tables passively and or aggressively 
10. Liars fidget, touching their face, nose, hair, clothing, tapping their feet. Fight or flight urges are being contained and body language speaks volumes; the nervous energy must come out! 

A day for bold statements
Today is my day for bold statements, oh wait, that's every day, why should today be any different? The difference between truth tellers and liars is love! 

When you love the truth, you: 
  • seek it 
  • correct your course when you are far from it
  • tell it like your life depends on it and; 
  • accept it, even when it is super painful, unchangeable, and requires much adaptation to the circumstances it dictates, must change
Lies make us squeamish and uncomfortable
Now for the lying part of this equation. I don't think we like our lies, I mean, not really? They make us squeamish and uncomfortable: the sense is that at any given moment, we will be exposed, and when that truth stuff comes out, we will fall in the graces of those who trust(ed) us. Like Anvils, ranging in weight from 75-500 pounds, lies can weigh us down to the point of suffocation, choking off the liar from the one they lied to.

Truth and lies investigation
I am liking this truth and lies investigation, because I like accounting, or accountability. At the risk of being a knock off artist here, I will utilize a metaphor that may seem cliche. We make deposits into our relationships with others, you and I. Truth can make or break the bank. Lies ensure that in the moment, relationship is maintained; but this type of deposit, in the long run, will not have a great ROI (return on investment). 

When I think of truth and lies, I see that only truth can sustain intimate relationship, while lies are like nasty hedge funds that borrow time until there is a crash in the market or in this case, the desired relationship. 

We all lie, when really, we don't have to
So here is my driving point: We all lie, when really, we don't have to. We lie to be kind, to be cruel, to be in charge, to avoid, to evade, to not get into trouble, to stay on someones good side, too _____________, you fill in the blank, because you too, are a liar. I'm not the only one here! 

Taking my best shot
I am taking my best shot at nobility this year dear reader. I am wanting passionately to be a truth teller, in love. I want truth to abide in me and to come from me like living water, flowing freely and kindly to anyone and everyone I meet. This is what and who I want to be. I guess I'm asking for takers here, looking for my others? The ones who love the truth so much that it is all that matters, even at the risk of, at the risk of ... losing people I love along the way.

It is a tall order and I am taking my shot

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life; 
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me (John 14:6)

This Jesus, the one I call my Lord, models for us what it is like to be the Truth. Truth is not always honoured or respected, but when called to follow in His footsteps, it is our responsibility to do as He does, be like He is, telling the truth included. 

Here is your opportunity to commit, dear one. Are you with me? More importantly, are you with Him? 

Consider this your invitation to higher ground 

No comments:

Post a Comment