Thursday, September 29, 2022

Interlopers and Rude Intruders

Error, error, error ... what if every time you and I made one of these, we got a message flashing across the sky, letting us know?

When I first started using GPS, and I didn't take the spoken to me directions, I anticipated the disembodied voice yelling at me: 

"YOU IDIOT, I TOLD YOU TO TURN RIGHT AT THE NEXT SET OF LIGHTS" or "WHY THE HELL DID YOU ASK FOR MY GUIDANCE, IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO DO WHAT I SAY, DUMB ASS?!"

Sometimes, when I am having a conversation in person, my phone likes to chime in with its opinion about the topic, like an uninvited interloper, or a rude intruder that gets stared at with annoyance, because three is one too many in an intimate exchange.

I see my phone as a device, there as a tool I use, and yet, I am reminded again today, of interlopers, the afore mentioned rude intruders, with uninvited opinions that are disruptive. In a world that no longer has face to face communications, where we can read body language and facial expressions, sense moods based on tonality and cadence, we now experience the disconnect of opinions shot our way, and shot toward other, based on superficiality, and very little understanding of the inner workings of other. We are no longer judging books (meaning people) by their cover, we are judging them based on their memes! Often times, we presume too much ...

WH😵‍💫 is G🥸🥸gle anyway? Why does Siri feel so comfortable giving unsolicited advice? How did it come to pass, that I spend more time with my phone by my side, then other humans? This just isn't right, dear reader, it just isn't right. I realize and forget, then realize again, how many unwelcome visitors come into my private space when I turn on my phone, click on something someone has sent me that I would NEVER EVER, I mean NEVER, choose to look at, and then suddenly, I am disgruntled, disappointed, sad, mad, irritated ... all things I didn't feel prior to pushing that home button on my already aging phone; it isn't new if it is three years or older! Agism is everywhere, ain't that so, dear one?

God has reminded me of the most excellent advice. Before I state what it is, know that I am not recommending sticking your head in the sand, pretending all is well in the world, and that things are going swimmingly, as the saying goes. We are not ostriches, pretending is for actors and politicians, and some people just can't swim. Now that we have cleared this up, I will share what my new old, new old, guiding light wisdom from God is:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever
things are true, whatsoever 
things are honest, whatsoever
things are just, whatsoever
things are lovely, whatsoever
things are of good report; if 
there be any virtue, and if
there be any praise, think on 
these things 
Philippians 4:8

True
Honest
Just
Lovely
Good report
Virtue
Praise

If what comes our way is not true, honest and just. If it lacks loveliness, is a bad report and is without virtue. If it is not praise worthy, and I will add, honouring to God, than perhaps it is not from Him ... perhaps it is a vexation of the spirit, and perhaps, just perhaps, seeing less of what we already know, will alleviate some of the emotional, psychological pain, of vicarious trauma from exposure to what is grotesque in the world. 

What I do know is God sees all, knows all, and He gives each human ample time to know Him, if we so desire. He hates wickedness and evil, and He hates sin. If you are a godly person, you cannot help but feel the same way about the vileness that is so intrusively apparent in our global community. This said, God put Philippians 4:8 in scripture, knowing what we would experience, knowing too, that we would need encouragement and redirection of our attention in dire times. 

So today, I am going with scripture, and hoping to stay there, no matter what I unfortunately am sometimes unwittingly, or knowingly too, exposing myself to ... 

Eyes on God, heart toward His will and people, that is all we can do, dear one. Let us be true, honest, just, lovely. Let others be able to make a good report about our virtue so that our Father in heaven, is praised! 

Let your light so shine before men, 
that they may see your good works, 
and glorify your Father
which is in heaven 
(Matthew 5:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment