Thursday, October 5, 2023

Being a Halfling

Being a halfling is horribly confusing. I recall being one, with a foot in heavenly realms, the other buried deeply in earthly concerns, including; self-consciousness minus confidence, desire minus discernment, a heart that longed for fulfillment whilst searching here and yonder for gratification, all unattainable on dirty ground.

To recap:

● Heavenly realms vs earthly concerns
● Self-consciousness minus confidence
● Desire minus discernment
● Longing for fulfillment whilst searching for gratification

The soul wants to soar but tethered, it remains grounded. The dirty ground, filthy often times, speaks of our own sins, and those sins committed by malefactors. We see evidence of debauchery in all directions we gaze, with heap upon unsightly heap of stinking human wreckage, from persistent and unrelenting debacle. Jesus was resolute while He walked among us, and it is His example that I think of when I consider my own misguidedness rectified, as I follow in His divine footprints:

And it came to pass, 
when the time was come that he should be received up, 
he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem (Luke 9:51)

Jesus knew His business, and could not deviate from it because Godly love is perfect and plays out according to divine will. Unlike you and I, dear reader, Jesus didn't have a fragile ego that screams, I am important, I make a difference, Listen to me, Can you see me, hear me... I matter! I will do as I please and how I please. 

While prophetically proving Himself to be God in fleshly form, He didn't have to prove a thing, and confounded the many that mocked and maligned Him, by not retaliating. The Saviour gave us these words for when we see red:

Be ye angry, and sin not: 
let not the sun go down upon your wrath 
(Ephesians 4:26)

Anger is something I am very familiar with: while anger is a valuable instrument for understanding righteousness when confronted with wrongs and injustices, it can become a weapon of retaliation when mishandled. Jesus could have blinked and wiped out His verbal and physical adversaries/enemies, but that is not what He came to accomplish, in fact, from the cross He beseeched on our behalf and for our hearing:

Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. 
And they parted his raiment, and cast lots (Luke 23:24)

Mission: For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost (Luke 19:10)

All of the above, dear reader, is a prelude to the kiss of life proffered firstly by God and then via those that have been given the ministry of reconciliation:

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord (Luke 4:18-19)

Message: If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed (John 8:36)

Our Mission: Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent (John 6:29)

● Halfling, are you horribly confused? 
● Halfling, are you on purpose, and on your way to fulfill the very reason for which you were created?
● Halfling, who do you say that Jesus is? Is He the Saviour of your eternal soul?

Over the years I have had to choose, and choose again. We all must, and I have zig zagged this way and that only to find that the straight path is the only one worth taking. It is narrow, few travel by it, and when I encounter my others, I happily discover they too have the desire to leave behind earthly dusty and dirty ways, in favour of heavenly and holy pursuits. 

Halfling, are you ready to take up the cross of Christ and live for Him and Him alone?

I hope to meet you on the road ahead so we can walk side by side. Heaven is calling, as Jesus said:

From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: 
for the kingdom of heaven is at hand (Matthew 4:17)

I leave you with Biblical wisdom, followed by my hope expressed once more: 

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, 
and lose his own soul? (Mark 8:36)

The New Jerusalem promises much that this life lacks in the offering... I eagerly anticipate a glorious reunion of God's faithful ones in the heavenly realms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment