Monday, July 4, 2016

The Rainbow Covenant

Genesis 9:12-17 "And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth. So God said to Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all life on the earth." My heart pounds in my chest upon rereading this, a promise made to a righteous man by God Almighty. There is wonder in rainbow gazing and when I learned what a rainbow represents many years ago, I was humbled in the knowledge that the colourful arc in the sky is Gods way of letting us know Who He Is and is also a reminder of His mercy. Rainbows have been misappropriated, taken by prideful man and made to mean something other than a remembrance of what God is capable of and what He is willing to hold back from doing for the sake of souls that need saving. It is a curiosity to me, to see humans parading. Frail, fallible, date stamped humans-we are nothing and each day we live, we are also dying. Pride came before the fall as the saying goes and the hedonism of self indulgence that prevails in all directions in this world is akin to thumbing the nose at God. Humility appears to be a disappearing concept, a bad word, an unspoken ugly step sister to the grandiosity of being full of unabashed pride. I hate no one, I am just tired of people denying God and it is frightful to me because in the words of Christ "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" Luke 23:34. The world is going to hell in a colourful rainbow hand basket and what God created and placed in clouds for all to see is what the world will be wrapped in when He is all but gone from the lips of man. We create nothing and unfortunately, we have a tendency to discolour and destroy Gods handiwork. When next you look into the sky and see heavy clouds there that threaten rain, remember there was a flood. When next you see God's Glorious Rainbow, remember His covenant, the one that keeps you and I from being wiped from the earth. Look for Him in the clouds...That is where He will next appear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment