Friday, June 24, 2016

Practicing Done

Have you heard this expression Dear Reader, talk is cheap? Are you a doer, a talker or somewhere in-between? Talking is often a prerequisite before doing, or at least this is what I have learned from attending well timed and structured meetings. In meetings, the hope is that there is a meeting of the minds, a unity in purpose so that once the meeting is complete, the members go forth and produce fruit. Talking for the sake of talking is a strange phenomena and since I am writing this piece, I confess that I am ready to practice being done more readily than the time wasting me of yesterday and yesteryear. Do you remember a time when phones were attached to a cord and a wall? I recall wishing that cord was a lot longer so that I could be out of earshot of my parents, my dad in particular. The phone was for business and he objected fervently when one of us kids occupied that phone for extended amounts of time. In hindsight, I also recall being asked, "What the heck do you have to talk about that takes longer than a few minutes?" Chances are, whatever it was, it is similar to what we talk about with others, still to this day. We all have our mantras, our favourite topics, don't we? What does practicing done mean? When does talking become cheap, as the saying goes? James 2:14-26 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." I will zero in now on talking in excess. How do you know when this is happening? A sure sign is the loop. If you find you are repeating what you have already said or that the person you are listening to is, you must get out of there immediately you time killer you! If no new information is being exchanged, imagine a neon floating card appearing before you flashing the word DONE, followed by move along now. Here is my driving point. We are tasked to take care of orphans and widows. We are tasked to be a redemptive presence in this world by loving God, loving others and changing the world. Time is of the essence and if you and I are not out there doing Gods work, we have cheapened our existence, stolen from our purpose and Gods will for us. I leave you with Gods wisdom from Ecclesiastes 3:1 "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" What will YOU do with your God given time today Dear One? 

No comments:

Post a Comment