Sunday, December 18, 2022

Impervious & Checkers

Impervious
Unable to be affected by: this is one definition of impervious

We are observing a disability, dear reader. People have become impervious to truth. I do believe this has been going on for a very long time, say, as far back as Adam and his lovely bride Eve, when in the perfectly made for them garden, they trusted the misconstrued propaganda of a snake. Deviating from the Word, they went in the opposite direction given them by their Creator. 

We humans simply do not like any "Thou shalt nots", "You mustn't", and the ridiculously obnoxious warnings, "If you do, you will pay dearly, perhaps even with your life." Oh no, humans don't like this one bit! We prefer our own patter, our own self-indulgent misleading ways, our own, "Bugger off, Who do you think You are, trying to tell ME what to do!?"

Think for a moment, of your most shameful moment ...

🔥 Does it make you cringe?
🔥 What was it you thought, said, DID?
🔥 Who knows about this?
🔥 Are you turning red at the thought, right now?

These are the stir up your memories questions, but they are not the target I am aiming at. I throw my darts at what you did with yourself AFTER your moment of humiliation. 

I hope you got a little uncomfortable in the remembering, but again, I am not wasting an arrow on that. I am interested in this:

🎯 How did you rectify the situation?
🎯 Did you resolve to never again?
🎯 Have you made peace with the person involved?
🎯 Have you spoken about this with God?
🎯 Are you sorry, I mean deep down, sorrowfully remorseful, for going awry?

I have played four games of checkers with a brilliant six year old. The record is now 3/4 in his favour. He taught me so well, I won our last match. During the game, near the end, his younger brother entered the room. My opponent suggested the intruder should not be there and should leave, and he did shortly thereafter. Looking at the board, it was clear that I was dominating. We continued to play, and he was hesitant, sensing a loss. Try as he might, I cornered his king, and there was a moment of tension; I could see him calculating. Then he said "It's because _________ came in the room." Dear reader, this little mite wanted to blame his innocent brother for a loss. The six year old was on the verge of anger, not wanting to acknowledge he had been beaten, fairly. 

❓How would you have handled the situation?
❓What would you have said?
❓Have you ever blamed someone else for your losses?
❓Have you dodged the truth in favour of a lie, to save face?
❓How willing are you to be pervious, or in other words, willing to let the truth soak in, absorbing it with bravery?

The six year old looked away as I spoke to him. He remained silent as I explained that his brothers interruption had nothing to do with the loss, since I was already winning before he entered the room. I shared that I had always celebrated his wins, and that he had taught me so well, I was able to play to win. I suggested that he congratulate me, as I had always done with him, and asked that he be a good sport about the loss. Then I asked, "Do you understand?"

He took a brief moment, eyes still averted. Then he nodded, accepting my words, allowing them to penetrate. I see the man he will become: honourable, willing to be corrected, willing to accept truth, even if his ego might be slightly bruised in the acknowledging. A truly humble person, despite the desire to be in charge, to win, to dominate the board of life, will always be teachable, permeable, pervious ... 

I am learning a lot from four little boys... they melt my heart in thousands of ways. One of them is teaching me checkers, and what it looks like to be six, and willing to lose with grace, while facing uncomfortable truth. 

God help us

We need more adults to play checkers with six year olds, and repair their character flawed traits while in the game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment