Saturday, January 6, 2018

Epiphany and Luther

Today is Epiphany-this is what my calendar shared with me. I asked Siri what the day meant and he said "you got me" which made me laugh. I know the definition of epiphany but alas, to have one, to have many, is an astounding experience.

Come with me as I share mine, so that you too, can have the light switches go on in your head and heart.

A baby born
Luther, baby Luther. You came into the world and breath was a struggle. Your little lungs tried so hard and yet, you needed help. Humans saw and responded, and they hooked you up with tubes and other apparatus, and your very own incubator. Behold, this was not enough, you needed more than what human hands had to offer, until of course, two hands were clasped together in prayer, and more joined the one, and there was a great cry, a resounding plea, please Lord, make the babe strong, give him the breath of life. 

And he did. And he will

Luther, born the year that commemorates Martin Luther, the great reformer, the honest one that struggled and fought, and knew his God, and would not back down to anyone for anything. It is by grace we come into this world, and it is by grace we are saved, and it is mercy in our struggles, that He bestows when in faith we cry out, Lord, help me, Lord, help the helpless

And God answers, it is your faith that has healed you

A cry for mercy
Tell me dear reader, have you cried out, mercy, mercy Lord, give me mercy? Have you cried out save me, I am struggling and it is hard to breathe Lord? In your panic and despair have you looked about you, tried to find someone, anyone to hook you up with something that will make it easier, make the pain go away, make you, better?

Equipment
A babe, in hospital, with equipment to maintain life. He was placed, a gift entrusted, given to humans doing their level best. Other humans, knowing not what to physically do, but doing the incomparable, pray and release the power of God Almighty. 

The babe begins to breathe using lungs fuelled by ether

You have breath dear one, fuelled by ether too, the unseen aiding in your continuance, without your asking but perhaps, others ask for you? 

Perhaps hands are clasped in prayer, joined by many, all pleading to God on your behalf, mercy Lord, mercy, heal this one too... the unseen aiding in your continuance? 

Consider it now, if you have not yet. Luther, the man, the babe: both reliant on a God felt rather than seen

Oh to have such faith 

No comments:

Post a Comment