Monday, January 8, 2018

Canned Christianity

"I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity" C. S Lewis

That was then
What the heck is C. S talking about? The statement above is an anachronism, because today, we have available to us a plethora of Christian flavoured pops to choose from, comfortably selected from our own theatre style viewing seats! When I snuggle in for the show, I mean the service, I am more than happy as I exit the building to face my week with a smile. Christianity is a relief. Be good, do good and if you are truly faithful, ask for the big stuff and abundance can be yours too... insert cheesy smile. Sometimes, the preachers get dangerously close to causing an emotional and almost spiritual  kerfuffle, mentioning some guy named um, whats that guys name again, you know the one, it starts with the letter J?

Modernizing Christianity is a good thing
Anyways, I can't help but appreciate the modern version of religion, because everyone can be a part of it and find a way to make it work for them. It's like the clothes in our closets, you know? You get to choose what you look and feel the best in without someone telling you what they think about your selection. It is freedom to choose and after all, God did give us freedom of will: we get to have at it, pick and choose what works for who we really are, and match that up with our religion. 

Modern day Christianity is currently being perfected, and C. S Lewis' ideas are a little outdated: all that stuff about sacrifice and giving your life to a God that cannot be seen? And the bible is an ancient tome written by some guys about some guy who died for his friends to save the world; sounds like Superman to me. Which reminds me, I have been meaning to get myself a Super Woman t-shirt, because sometimes I feel so good, I believe I can save the world!

I'm my own person
So here is the bottom line, just so that we can get clear about what is available out there: Christianity is based on a Son submitting to the will of his Father to the point of death, for the sins of the human race. He asks us to submit too, even to the point of death. 

I don't know about you but this is a tough one for me; I mean submit, to the point of death, in this life? Doesn't that put me in a vulnerable position that might not work out too well for me? What if Gods will isn't my will, wouldn't that mean I am going to lose, and give up everything I have? For what, I ask you? 

This suggestion goes against everything I stand for and believe in: I am in charge here, and I will not have anyone angle me otherwise...

It is all very strange to me, because I really love myself, I mean finally, I know what self love is, because I have been working on it for years. I am not going to give up what I have worked so hard to feel good about, not now, not for anyone, not ever. 

Besides, I have been to church-God loves everyone and he hasn't asked me for a thing yet, from what I have heard. I just know that God would never leave me out, because I am a good person, and I get along with most people. Religion doesn't have to be all heavy, and when it gets that way, I can always leave a little early, no one would care or notice.

Enlightened
Anyhow, I am glad I got this off my chest: it has been enlightening to share. I'll see you at the late service on Sunday... I hate getting up too early. Thank God for the 11 o'clock huh? 

See you soon, take care and God Bless😊




No comments:

Post a Comment