Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Touch With Your Eyes

Oh, how I wanted to touch

Touch with your eyes: this message was neatedly typed and posted on little stands in front of magnificent art on display in a gallery in Sausalito. Oh, how I wanted to touch, feel the work, experience it with my hands and I'm not the only one, thus the notes. This gentle reminder for guests in the store held in it the knowing that while eyes do not break things, touching sometimes does, and when something breaks, there is a price to pay.

Ownership is permission to touch

I played with the word attraction and realized that within the word, is action. When attracted, it feels normal, natural, compelling even to act, follow through on the attraction. I did not touch, I resisted the urge, the precious items in the gallery were not mine and I was not buying them, I did not own them and would not be owning them~ownership is permission to touch. Deprived of hands on feeling, I used my sight to drink in the beauty of the artistry and in a quiet corner I wept, filled up with the experience of knowing that these amazing artists had this incredible ability to see the world a certain way and capture it whimsically so that those who observe the finished work can experience what they see, feel, love in life.

People are like fine art

Love is crafted
It is unpopular to say that I belong to my husband, that he is mine and I am his, that we have paid for ownership of one another in marriage and yet, this is the gift of permission to touch. This ownership, it is not slavery, it is abiding love. I touch others, with my eyes, my ears, my heart, sometimes with permission, my hands~it is intimate and close and loving and by no means sexual in nature. People are like fine art, crafted by Hands Unseen. Learning the when where and how of handling with care can take a life time, some blood sweat and tears and maybe this is the masterpiece that we create for others to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment