Monday, April 3, 2017

Giving up...

Giving up...

Some people feel as though they never have control
What do you have to give up dear reader? The first things that may come to mind are those that are "bad" for us. Give up fries, alcohol, cake, whining? Those are the superficial items in life that add or subtract from who we are, depending on our mindset. You be the judge, give up or keep? I am thinking along different lines here. I am considering giving up a familiar way of being that has kept me safe and warm, a bit of an emotional security blanket. I am giving up... control. I understand some people feel as though they never have control but I am not one of those people, I am quite the opposite! I have some kind of crazy belief that I can control just about anything and everything, or at least, I used to believe this. It is a fading fancy. We all live in some state of delusion at one point or another and whether you feel confident that you have no say or whether you believe you have a supernatural kind of all powerfulness, your perception is quite possibly skewed, and on the messy side of reality.

Till sunset
Conferring of power
As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up-one on one side, one on the other-so that his hands remained steady till sunset (Exodus 17:11-12).

Gods power
What do you think? We have Moses standing on top of a hill, hands raised up. He gets so tired that he must sit. He gets so tired that support is required on either side to help him remain steady. What kind of fighting is this? Three men, unarmed and doing battle? What would you be doing in their stead? This is an astounding story of pure faith. There is the symbolism of surrender with hands raised and at the same time, the glorious conferring of power. Moses had not control of the winning and losing in battle. What he did have is God and so long as he reached up to him, the Israelites were promised victory. Gods power was displayed, through Moses' and the faithful among him. For a full account, you can go to Exodus and read this exciting piece of history for yourself.

I give up...
Back to me and giving up. My hands reach to the heavens and I surrender to Gods power, trusting him with my life, my people, my everything. I give him control and claim the victory he has promised me in his word. What about you? Will you raise your hands heavenward, trusting in him?

What will it take for you to give him control in your life? While your hands remain at your sides, know this: you are missing out on one of life's greatest wonders. The power of the Almighty surging through you... how can you possibly resist God? How? Why, would you want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment