Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Endear

There is a free application that is phone downloadable. It is called bitmoji. You can make an avatar, a tiny seemingly life sized version of you in cartoon format. Mine looks so much like me that I joke, how did someone follow me around and take all of those pictures? The adorable pictures allow for a full expression of emotions. You can send any number of messages, from Congratulations to Happy Birthday and Feel Better. What I like about these caricatures, other than everything (as my family and friends know), is how they capture a current mood or state of mind. Text messaging can be messy, insulting, ambiguous and heavy handed...cartoon characters, well how can you take them too seriously when they are so darned cute? What I have noticed lately is the missing and almost lost art of endearment. It has been replaced with desperation as low self esteem drives people to be noticed, understood, included. In a ravenous society that is desperate to fit in at all costs, few are learning or being taught how to interact and be in relationship. Endear is defined as: caused to be loved or liked. How do we endear ourselves to others? Let me count the ways, Dear One, because it is exciting and fun to be engaged thoroughly with the human race. It starts with you. Yes, yes it does, this is all about you! I want to know what you love to do-do tell, I am dying to know! What do you enjoy about your work and where do you work by the way? What about your free time, how do you spent it? Alone, in company? Do you like to read, write, walk in the woods, jump off cliffs? Who is your best friend and WHY, I mean how great are they??? Tell me EVERYTHING! What is your dream job? Who is your perfect mate? I'm listening, I'm waiting with baited breath because your answers, they tell me who you are, what your heart longs for, what you are missing and want desperately and have not spoken yet because no body asked. I am asking you now. It is your turn, answer the questions and then, and then Dear One, ask me about me. Let me know that you care because you want to know who I am, what my heart longs for, what is missing or is perfectly in place in my life. Ask because you really want to know the person in front of you. I matter, you matter and so does how we interact. I started this piece of writing with bitmoji-it is endearing but is ultimately a poor substitute for the real thing, the real you and me. Practicing the art of true endearment will enrich you, me and our society. Relationship is what we all crave, the give and take of seeing firstly and secondly, being seen. En Dear yourself to others, Dear Reader. Give love and love will return to you a thousand fold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment