Thursday, July 31, 2014

God & Treasure Hunting

What if life is one big glorious treasure hunt?  Close to my home there is a man made pond, populated by lovely Canadian geese, surrounded by wildly growing plants and trees and a walking path for suburbanites.  I have taken up praying there, offering God my day and I do this physically using movement.  Yesterday I was almost finished when I heard someone on the path and this quickly brought my worship to a close.  As I walked toward the hill to leave, I looked toward the stranger to say hello and he said "you don't have to be afraid of me". I said I wasn't afraid, that I had been praying and I didn't want him to think I was weird~while I am clearly not embarrassed about praying and honouring God publicly, I prefer to be alone with God at His lovely pond.  This prayer comment brought us into conversation and the man spoke about his important work as a scientist. He has "invented" several healing pharmaceutical products and believes he will be the man remembered for helping many. I didn't insult him by pointing out I had never heard of him before, nor would I likely hear about him again. He doesn't believe in God and told me that as a scientist, he has learned that everything "is built from bottom to top, not from top down".  A God in the "sky" does not exist because it doesn't match up with the facts, or so it would seem. The Buider, He was taken out of the equation, nullified in this mans mind and heart. His own hands and mind could only and will only ever be able to "build" from what is, the treasures that he discovers before him, nothing of his own...he has created from what is, not from what isn't, as we all do.  He had a half bag of bread in his hands, to feed the geese.  Somewhere inside of him, he knows, he cannot explain the beautiful geese that Grace the pond, nor the flowers that grow wildly in riotous colour, honouring The One who made them for His own pleasure and ours. Today, I glorified God for His creation and the gift of the treasure hunt, my hope is that the friendly bird feeding stranger will one day do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment