Friday, October 8, 2021

Slithery Snakes

Slithery Snakes

I have a saying, don't wrestle with a snake, you will get bitten

I am considering the wise words my son spoke yesterday, anything you say will be used against you...

Beware of slithery snakes 
We were discussing how to respond to someone that we newly discovered, was a snake in the grass: my son said cut the grass, meaning, the snake is then exposed. An exposed snake is much easier to deal with, than one that slithers and slinks silently and then without warning, wraps itself around your ankles so tightly, that pulling you down becomes an easy feat for the serpent. 

The scripture verse that comes to mind as I suss out my thoughts, is in Ecclesiastes 3:7

... a time to keep silence, and a time to speak

It is clear to me, that the time for talking can come abruptly to an end, when you know that the words you speak, fall on deaf ears and not only this, that they will be turned into a weapon, to cut and slash in order to injure. Vindictive people eventually show their true colours, when they cannot get their own way:

For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known and come to light (Luke 8:17)

Here is the perfect descriptor:

Vitriol: cruel and bitter criticism; sulphuric acid 

To pick up the theme of vindictive people, we see that cruel and bitter criticism, can act like corrosive sulphuric acid, when words are liberally sprayed at another with the intent to hurt, maim, and even kill their spirit. 

Imagine a snake that speaks sulphuric acid soaked words, spewing them with the intent to kill...

I am pretty sure the war of the worlds, the worlds being good and evil of course, started with words against The Word of Life, Jesus Christ. He spoke the physical world into existence, creating all creatures, including angels and humans, and one brilliant angel used his tongue to speak enmity with God. The battle has raged on ever since, and the acid tongued one, has deftly turned many a man against his fellow beings, wilfully causing injury with words followed closely by wicked death inducing actions. 

Where are we now in this conversation dear one?

I keep my eyes open for slithery snakes and when I spot one, I walk away, at my own pace. That little bugger can only get big if he is well fed, and I will not give him any of my words to fuel his sulphuric fire. 

Silence is golden, when the time to speak has come abruptly to an end:

... a time to keep silence, and a time to speak






No comments:

Post a Comment