Sunday, December 24, 2017

Reconnaissance

Reconnaissance is defined as: a mission to obtain information by visual observation or other detection methods, about the activities and resources of an enemy or potential enemy, or about the meteorologic, hydrographic, or geographic characteristics of a particular area.

Today I had to do some recon and I laugh as I type this because it sounds so secretive and dramatic. I realized that the information I have received, and my reactions and responses to the information, were incongruent with the reactions and responses of others, which made me wonder, who is right and if they, are right, how can I be so off base? How does this happen? 

So I looked again to observe, to see if I could detect an "enemy or potential enemy" hidden in the hills and valleys of relationship. It didn't take me long to see, that there was something lurking in the shadows, something sinister that presented itself as a minor mis-communique but really, it was intended to rankle!

Disbelief, unbelief, over-belief?
I had a discussion with an atheist recently, and I can't help recalling his explanations for our existence; the magical thinking required to accept that nature just does what it does, and that feelings are perceptions that can be chosen and blah blah blah. 

The atheist looked me right in the eye, with condescending confidence, that he quickly covered, shortly after making this statement: 

The burden of proof is really on you Linda

I laugh now, because at the time, my jaw had dropped in dismayed disbelief, at the arrogance of the suggestion that either of us, could possibly prove or disprove the existence of God! I read recently this amazing line: 

We are all just seconds away from rigour mortis (if God chooses dear reader, He can snuff us out in an instant, no questions asked!)

Oh little little man, how you dare to test Gods patience! Now, here, at this moment in time, call me arrogant too. Tell me that I am condescending and cocky, and overly confident, and perhaps even contentious. 

Purrrhaps
Perhaps I am over the top in my beliefs, and they are out of synch and time with the truth. Perhaps an atheist has it right, and I am simply a fool, off base and disconnected from re a l i t y? 

Purrrhaps, said the cat to the mouse... 

Or purrrhaps I see what is really going on? 
Perhaps I see that someone, many someones, are being deceived by a treacherous liar, who whispers don't believe that nonsense about God, you have all the answers. Don't let some Bible thumper get away, without a good thrashing about how ridiculous their beliefs are. 

And the beat goes on...

This Christmas Eve
I attended mass this evening at a gorgeous Cathedral with my mom, a friend, and thousands of Catholics. The message from the priest was evangelical, the first of its kind for me to hear in this place of worship. He spoke about knowing Jesus Christ, and sharing the saving grace knowledge that we are sinners and we all, need a Saviour. 

So tonight, as suggested by this evangelist, I tell you that a child was born to a virgin thousands of years ago, celebrated annually on Christmas day, and for weeks prior to the established date. A host of heavenly angels sang Him into humanity, and He is heralded as the King of kings, Lord of lords, incarnate Son of God. 

You go to bed tonight anticipating something spectacular, with or without being convinced of Who he is... no one can, convince you dear reader. I cannot prove He is who He said He is and even if I could, would you believe, would you?

What child is this... this, this is Christ the King, Whom shepherds guard and Angels sing. You know the song, will you sing it this Christmas dear one, knowing He came, for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment