Thursday, December 7, 2017

Avalanche

Falling rapidly
Recently I heard and read about avalanches... a mass of snow, ice, and rocks falling rapidly down a mountainside. While in Kamloops weeks ago, I was told there had been a mud slide that blocked passage on a main road. Why am I sharing this with you, you ask? It is because sometimes, I feel like I am the rubble and stumble that has been rapidly falling down the mountainside, only to be buried under a mass of snow, ice and rocks! This buried feeling comes from a discovery of a repeated theme of dichotomy: a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different. Dang it dear reader, I am caught between nether worlds, what I perceive as simple reality and than the complexity of the behind the scenes, the other side, the rest of the story.

Looking for clarity in the clutter
Is it us? I mean do we purposefully make life complicated? Is it possible to simplify, to modify to the point of truly being minimalistic? I consider myself to be a minimalist and call myself this and yet, I don't feel minimalistic at all when I see slippage from just above me, when I see a rock dislodged that threatens to roll over me and take me down with it. Focus is lost with purpose being displaced when I feel this way, when clarity is cluttered by... people!

Avalanche
I am laughing now dear reader, because it just so happens that I am part of the people problem. The avalanche is never about things, is it? It is always about moving stuff around to clear a path to each other. The snow, the ice, the rocks... these are the symbols of freezing, of impediment to relationship and when there is critical mass, passageways are blocked, communication is stilted and we cannot see or hear one another. I am a relator and on my best days, the path is cut before me and I can take steep hill steps regardless of circumstance but somedays, somedays, I just don't have a clue what lies before me and I falter. I can only see me and blockage and the wondering, how do I clear this path?

Working toward the middle
So here is my solution dear reader. Get a shovel, perhaps a pickaxe or even a bulldozer. I will bring with me my hacksaw, dump truck and spade. You start at your end and call out ready; with my hand cupped to my ear, I will begin digging from the other side...I promise to keep going, to keep cutting and digging to meet you in the middle-we can clear this path, you and I together.  I promise I will not give up or call it quits just because I get a little tired and confused... I promise that I will stay with it, stay with you until we can see and hear each other once again... I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment