Monday, November 20, 2017

Hangover

Hangover
Sometimes I experience hangover. A hangover is descriptive of the unpleasant head and body reactions to something ingested the day before; the after affects of indulgence. I have had many hangovers. In my youth, these were the result of alcohol consumption, but in my mid-life, hangovers act like sinus issues that cause headaches, as I react to various foods and even scents. The world has become toxic, and I am not alone in my reactions. There are some buildings that have request signs posted on their doors and walls "Fragrance free zone", "Peanut and nut allergies; be aware". The world is polluted, and polluting, and people are getting sick as a result.

Emotional Hangover
Today I have an emotional hangover. I had an unpleasant exchange with someone I love, and it has left me feeling sad, disappointed and a little weak, sick at heart. We poured verbal venom into one another and today, I wonder about long term affects. Allergic type reactions that dictate how we interact in the future? To say I am contrite would be a lie. I felt justified in the venomous verbal spillage but than again, this is how it always is when we feel right(eous), isn't it dear reader? 

Fights and Quarrels
From whence comes wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts (James 4:1-3)  

What I know is that whenever there is verbal violence, a toxic exchange, God was not consulted, He wasn't asked to mediate. My remedy for this emotional hangover is Him, His Word 

It is His correction that convicts me, and has me accountable for my own words and actions:

For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison (James 3:7-8)

Oh the tongue: to tame it is my plan, with Gods help

No comments:

Post a Comment