Saturday, November 25, 2017

The Climb

When life is a vertical climb
The view is often spectacular
Which moments changed your life?
What difference does one plane ride, one shuttle ride to the airport make? What difference do a couple hours or even, a few minutes dear reader, make, when you are in the company of other humans? For me, each moment in time is either lost to nothingness, or quintessential in monumental life shifts. 

Think for a moment about your own moments: 
  • Which ones changed your life? 
  • Which ones have you captured, and recorded in your memory, forever? 
  • Was it when you first laid eyes on your love? 
  • The day you discovered your baby stole your heart? 
  • The day your dad died?
Forgive me as I self indulge: these were some of my moments. I am traveling in my head, my heart, my mind. My soul, it wants to travel too, a vertical climb...

Switching seats
I enter the Robert Q shuttle, taking a seat in the back row. The driver has pulled away from the curb, when I quickly realize that I have selected the wrong seat. I pick up my bag, and begin to awkwardly rectify the situation, moving toward the front of the van, while simultaneously asking the driver if he would mind me taking the passenger seat next to him. 

He agrees: to not ask, to not move, would have been a lost opportunity for me. The driver is talkative, and knowledgeable but mostly, I notice that he is a judicious man who has studied human nature. He speaks on things that pertain to me or perhaps, I ask questions I need answers to, and it just so happens, he is my current muse, my very own wise man, sent to give me insights I needed to learn and grow from.

Muse number two
I sit, middle of the row of three seats. I offer my trip companions gum before take off, and they each take a piece. We are strangers, but for me this means nothing, absolutely nothing. 

We are on the tarmac, and we stay there for near, or just over an hour. We each mind our own polite business, but not for long, never for long. It is there again, the knowing that to not connect, to not share, means a missed opportunity. 

I turn my head to the right, and it begins: the invitation to intimacy, to exploring the heart, the mind, the soul of another. It is what I live for, it is all that matters, and it is, why I exist. I am not disappointed. I meet yet another muse, and I begin to soar, the sky is the limit.

How many moments in time have you captured?
I am a traveller. I see mountains and trees. I enter shuttles and airplanes. I travel highways and byways but dear reader, my soul demands and responds to calls for exploration and discovery of other, the landscapes of their being 
  • What about yours: your soul?
  • How many moments in time have you captured? How many have you missed? 
  • What have you ignored in favour of ignorance, in favour of disconnection? 
  • Will you switch seats, not wanting to miss one more chance? 
  • Will you engage with those on either side of you, knowing that to not do so might mean you have misplaced the opportunity of a lifetime? 
  • Will you decide to fly high, travel vertically for the sake of your soul?
Today is the day the Lord has made, today is the only day you have to let someone steal your heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment