Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Discipline

Where does discipline fit into your life? I am thinking along the lines of: training oneself to do something in a controlled and habitual way; activity that provides mental or physical training. Does discipline appeal to you Dear Reader? If so, how come? If not, how come? What appeals to me about discipline is the self awareness it affords when I am decisive and choosey about my time and energy. It feels clean. I have given myself over to instruction for the past several years. I want to learn from others, watch them and collect all the best practices available to me in this amazing life. In the past five days, I have attended yoga. While I am very comfortable being physical, I have not always been comfortable with being guided through yoga classes because I have a limited range of motion. A limited range of motion...my guess is that I am adding reach, extension and elegance to my life each time I give myself over to be guided, physically. I am and always have been, an experiential learner. It feels good to be student without the desire to be expert. In yoga class I do not speak, make suggestions, have a say in what is next or how long a posture will last. I am there to follow. Sometimes, I receive the blessing of the instructor who will adjust me gently, helping me move into a stronger position, one I can hold for that much longer. This always gives me a feeling of reward and accomplishment. I am becoming well adjusted, so to speak. Here is what the Bible has to say about discipline in Hebrews 12:12-13 "Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. Make level paths for your feet, so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed." How delightful. Then, there is this wonderful Proverb 12:1 "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." Yes, the word stupid is in the Bible and it speaks to the stubborn soul that enjoys blissful self imposed ignorance. I leave you with this thought. You are not feeble or broken. You are loved by God and He wants to make you feel whole. He teaches and disciplines His children and my Dear One, He wants to train you and me up, in His ways. The proof is in His word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment