Monday, August 15, 2016

The Expert

Committing to being humble student

Who is the expert in your life? Every time we take a course, attend a workshop or a program, there is subjection. We are subjecting ourselves willingly to the guidance of another, the prowess and expertise of the leader or teacher. Big dollar tickets may be attached to the attendance of said courses, workshops/programs and when we willingly pay the admittance price, we have committed to being student, a humbling of self in order to learn from the course provider. While you and I invest in the learning, the leader makes a living, a profit from the exchange. Sometimes we attend a learning event to capture what the teacher has seemingly captured, the ability to fill a room full of people who will pay us for our expertise. And the cycle of life continues.

Instant inspired connection

I am fondly envisioning Jesus on a beach and some men toiling with cumbersome fishing nets, his verbal invitation being shared in Matthew 4:19:

"And He said to them, "Follow Me (as my disciples, accepting me as your master and teacher and walking the same path of life that I walk), and I will make you fishers of men." Leaving nets and fishy fishing behind, men did indeed, follow this mysteriously engaging and charismatic leader. I picture jaws dropped and some quiet in the head confusion for those who left what they knew behind to follow a fellow who seemed strangely (strange defined as: unusual or surprising; difficult to understand or explain) different without him feeling like a stranger. It would appear that there was instant inspired connection between Jesus and the men he commanded to "Follow Me".

Fast forward many believing years later

I am grinning now as I write because I have a question for you dear one. If he, Jesus, came to you and said "leave your desk, your office, your house, your country, your___________ and follow me", would you? This was a fear of mine, that as a Christian I might be asked by God to become a missionary and this did not nor does it now, appeal to me. Fast forward many believing years later and he does ask me to follow him from where I am.
Follow the leader can be a dangerous game

Follow them to who knows where

What about you dear reader, what is he asking of you? There are many leaders/experts in this world, pied pipers make up the majority of them. Follow them to who knows where? Have you followed someone who has expertly led you astray, dear one? Look about and see how lost so many are. Are you one of the lost?

"It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in humans" (Psalm 118:8). An all knowing, all seeing, all loving God never leads his flock astray. He knows where you have been, where you are and where you are going. Allow him to be The Expert in your life and you will feel the confidence only faith in God can bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment