Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Mental Habit

I read this line today: "A trait is a mental habit". What do you make of this sentence Dear Reader? I think of habits and the thoughts that precede them and then I think, oh man, it is a characteristic, a personality trait that shows up in the world! Working backward from action (habit) to thought (mentality) to trait (character or personality) is a scary thing, if bad habits exist, that is. The main topic in the sentence is trait, something having to do with you, and I, as a people. There are many examples of traits, such as light or deep thinker, none committal or obligated, trustworthy or sneaky, honest or liar...these are some opposites and thinking about one trait may lead you to thinking about its extreme opposite. In this little exercise we can see that there is range in the expression of who you and I are and how we show up in our lives with family, friends and co-workers. Whether we like it or not, who we are shows so the question is: Do you like who you are? What about those traits of yours, the ones that represent your thinking and establish themselves as your habits? We all have some work to do, don't we Dear Reader? If you read my writing consistently, I am inclined to believe you like work, you like to question yourself, your thinking, your habits. I believe we are a match if this is true for you because status quo is a no go in your life. You and I, we both know that we are being refined, for a purpose, for a reason greater than we perhaps understand. Who we are, the traits we show to the world are the ones that live and breath in our minds and ultimately, in our souls. Pick a habit you have and take a deeper look. What thoughts are behind the habit, calling the shots and driving you into behaviour? Where did your mind go with this request? Did you immediately think of the things that you do that are bad for you, hurtful for your wellbeing or even perhaps those you love? What if the request is this: consider what good habits you have that show your sweetness of mind, your huge hearted ways. What trait does this represent in you? I will tell you a little secret. I start my days listening to the recorded messages of Dr. J. Vernon McGee, a habit I started this summer because my mind needs to be fed and the trait I want to grow is devotion to God. No applause, thank you, because in telling you this, I also tell you that but for my habit, which is quickly becoming seeking God in all things at all times, I am nothing and no one and the habit of none accomplishment reigns supreme in my life with a lackadaisical trait attempting to drive me to rest when God's work for me is lined up and waiting. I like the sentence, "a trait is a mental habit" because we can decide our state of mind;  we can decide our habits with the freedom of will that is our birth right, isn't this true Dear One? I'm glad we had this little chat. We sorted out our thinking, didn't we Dear Reader? In doing this, we got to decide which habits stay, which ones go and which ones we would like to establish based on the traits we want to develop. In any case, might I suggest this? Start your day with God, develop the trait of devotion and your habits, they will be both pleasing to you and more importantly, pleasing to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment