Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Words & Matches

They can ignite a burning fire that has power

Words are like matches, they can ignite a burning fire that has the power to help, heal or hurt. Matches are harmless when nestled side by side in their homey book. Words too, are harmless when strung together playfully and in jest. The danger is in the careless, reckless, use of either.

Warning: "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgement. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned" (Matthew 12:36-37).

Now we all know that it is the meaning behind spoken words that increase volume and intensity. A threat can be whispered, hissed, spelled out. It is impact that makes words significant and powerful. Subaudition is: a thing that is not stated, only implied or inferred. This means that a smiling face that delivers a politely guised message of hate is just as dangerous as someone who clearly screams "You make me sick and I want to kill you". Even typing this nasty bit of verbalized violence is enough to turn my stomach. What impact did it have on you?

We are accountable for our words

Have you left any fires burning?
I have used words to hurt and to heal. I am accountable and this means I have often used I'm sorry to mend a fence, heal a wound, let another know that I have regret, remorse and wish to make amends. Sometimes I am not sorry, not immediately, which makes me wonder about the small fires I have left burning, unattended with the potential of spreading and causing massive wildfire destruction.

Does this sound dramatic, dear reader? Perhaps I give myself, the words I use, and their impact far too much importance? I can only speak to my own experience, having been the giver and the receiver of unpleasant verbal exchanges that can cause third degree like burns. The recovery period is long and enduring.

Your turn. Are there any fires you need to pay attention to and perhaps, extinguish? Careful now, you are after all is said and done, accountable for your words.





No comments:

Post a Comment