Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Torch

"We are not trying to fix disabled people, we are trying to fix the community"...this I quote from the Executive Director of the Alice Saddy organization, Bud Carter.  I am stunned again as I contemplate his words. Alice Saddy is the name of a woman that dedicated her short lived life to being an advocate, a voice for those that had been muted, put aside, hidden away from society and ostensibly ignored if not completely forgotten. The love of humanity torch that Alice lit has been passed on and shines brightly as the staff that honour and serve developmentally disabled clients, continue to work as advocates so that physical needs are met AND hopes, dreams, strengths and capabilities are factored into the care equation. Autonomy in community, to be seen and know as a contributing valuable member of society, isn't this what we ALL want? I see us all as developmentally disabled and enabled at so many points in our lives. Each time I judge, assume, I show my own inability to see clearly, weakening my capacity as a compassionate human that deeply desires connection with others without barriers...this is the human condition, to love and be loved is our greatest need. We must of necessity do this together, this love thing, it does not exist in isolation. All you need is love, da da da da, all you need is love...thanks Alice Saddy, Ken MacLellan, Bud, the Alice staff, for the reminder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment