Thursday, March 2, 2023

Zero Discrimination Day

Yesterday was Zero Discrimination Day. I learned this just today, when I was updating my daytimer and noticed these words highlighted in a bright greenie-blue. Imagine that, declaring a day this way, as though humans need to be reminded to remember to be kind, at least, just for one day...

Funny thing is, I had a morning of deep healing, soul cleaning appreciation yesterday. I had prayed for God to do a work in me, have my words glorify Him, and edify others to the exclusion of all else, meaning to speak no evil or condescending condemnation of even the wicked. I fear I have judged many and often, something I am accustomed to since I am extremely harsh with myself... Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself (Matthew 22:39) ... yup, that makes sense. If I am merciless with myself it stands to reason that I will be inclined similarly toward other, especially when they lean toward injustice. 

We are to pray for our enemies, but this is virtually impossible if we are blaming them constantly for their wicked ways and the outcomes that follow. It is hard to see people as people when they seem to be slithery like snakes, and yet all things belong to God, and all humans are hand crafted, uniquely designed, by the Author of Life. 

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you (Matthew 5:44)

Yesterday, I saw them, perhaps for the first time in my life. The people, each one, as all His. Sometimes I feel like a God hoarder, as though He is mine and mine alone. I talk to Him all day, reason with Him in my own childishness, and try to convince Him of things, all the while abashed at my brashness and apologetic too, that perhaps I have gone too far in my instructing Him. I have to laugh at myself frequently, knowing that I am maturing while returning to a child like faith that is hopeful and keen on seeing life, people, and circumstances, from a godly, perhaps even heavenly? perspective. God is tolerant but better than this, He is merciful as I meander, in and out of being saintly, holy, and alternatively, being self-absorbed, and a bit of a rascal. 

Zero Discrimination Day holds a special meaning for me. Since God sees not race, social status, male or femaleness, then I must see all humans similarly, but in a way that matches what we are contending with currently:

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus (Galatians 3:28-29)

When a human decides to live their life for the Lord, they become a holy family member, and God embraces them as His child. He does not discriminate based on any standards other than them belonging to Christ Jesus as Saviour. Dear reader, being a child of God is the ultimate goal and reward, and isn't it just like a loving God to want all of His little lambs, His chicks, His baby bears, to grow up knowing Him and loving Him as their heavenly Father? 

Yesterday was a day of reckoning for me, with the deep and abiding love of God for all His hand crafted, uniquely designed children. There isn't a one of us that is exactly like another, and yet conformity with the criminally minded is what each individual must face, and resist, in order to walk toward God and away from worldly ways and anti-wisdom. The challenge is the separation we observe and feel on a daily basis when we interact with others: all Christians habitually ask this question in their mind and sometimes out loud when they are thinking of others "Are they a Christian?"

We want to know, are they safe, are they sound, are they part of the family yet? It is the word yet that is hopefully attached to the question "Are they a Christian?". Unfortunately, discrimination goes both, or perhaps in many directions. Becoming love is not easy, and as I decide whether or not to pretty up that statement with a clever add on, I realize I must leave it as it is:

Becoming LOVE is not easy

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins (1 John 4:7-10)

Becoming love is not easy, because it means we must be like God, and God is love! IF I am to be like Him, I must relinquish my will to His and have Jesus live through me. I want to be loving like Him, dear reader, and this means I must do as He commands:

💖 Love my neighbour as myself
💖 See each human as hand crafted by God
💖 Pray for my enemies
💖 Love like my Saviour, wanting each human to be reconciled to God the Father

I pray each day is Zero Discrimination Day... that, dear one, sounds heavenly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment