Saturday, July 10, 2021

Brian

Brian and his dog covered
a lot of ground
Fast pace
There is a man that I noticed years ago, walking the sidewalks in my neighbourhood. His was a fast pace, and his harnessed companion easily kept up.

One day, I had the opportunity to speak with the man, and I learned his name is Brian. The next time I saw him, I called out, "Hey Brian" and he replied, "Linda, is that you?". 

Walking companions
Over the years, I marvelled at Brian: I learned from someone that knew a bit about him, that he was a computer wiz of some sort, working at the University of Western Ontario. Brian covered a lot of ground, and he had many walking companions over the years: I can recall three. The last time I saw Brian, I witnessed something that made me cry in anguish for him, and the memory plays out in my mind every once in a while, causing me some grief yet again. Today was one of those days...

I went for a walk this morning, and saw some young men setting up for window cleaning. The vehicle they arrived in had ladders attached, one on each side, and while the car was in the driveway, the ladders were partially extended over the sidewalk. Unbidden, as memories are prone to do, my last remembrance of Brian appeared and played behind my eyes.  

Great stride
Brian has a great stride, and as I said above, he covers a lot of ground in a short period of time, and with great confidence. I am wincing in the knowing, and the recalling, that with that athletic pace, running into something sight unseen, would be painful and jarring upon contact. 

And that is exactly what occurred. While Brians German shepherd guide dog saw a clear walking path ahead, he did not see the overhanging item attached to a truck parked in a driveway, at head and shoulder height for Brian. Brian walked hard and fast, directly into that overhanging object, and enraged, he growled in frustration, hitting the truck with his left hand. This vignette has left a permanent mark on my memory... in my admiration all the previous years for Brian, I just did not image him being encumbered; my naïveté dissolved in that moment, and I considered all the times Brian walked into things, because someone, perhaps someone like me? left an item that could harm or hinder him, directly in his path?

I kept walking
Today, I walked past that vehicle with the overhanging ladders: I knew the hired workers were going to take them off soon, to use them to clean second floor windows. I kept walking, and the further I got, the more I considered going back; I talked myself in and out of saying something to them.
  • What would you do, dear reader?
Spun the other way
I stopped, turned back in the direction of the window cleaners, then called myself silly, spun the other way and resumed my walk. After a few tentative steps,  I stopped again, but this time, when I turned toward where I had come from, I ran to those fellas, that house, that parked vehicle with overhanging ladders that threatened to injure someone that can not see... 

And I told them: I told them about Brian, and how I couldn't live with myself if I didn't warn them...

Those with eyes to see
I think about you, and me dear one, and our responsibility to one another. The blind are leading the blind, while those with eyes to see, have been positioned to speak, to warn, to shout if necessary, DANGER, DANGER, harmful and potentially deadly object just ahead. 

The Good Shepherd
God is the Good Shepherd, the overseer of our souls:

For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls

Consider grace
When I think of narrow misses, easy getaways gone unnoticed, I consider grace, and Gods mercy. How angels step in, sight unseen, when we are in peril. My own life, and yours too? are a series of blunders that did happen, and yet somehow, more often than not, they were escapes that we knew not of. 

Am I my brothers keeper? Yes, I think I am, in some ways. While I cannot and will not impose myself on another, I will consider what impact my choices to speak or not speak, have on those that trust that someone is looking out for them when they are extra vulnerable, and simply want to enjoy a power walk with their most loyal and trust worthy companion. 

And isn't that you, and me? Don't we each, want to walk freely, unencumbered, and arrive home refreshed and ready to face tomorrow fearlessly, yet again? 

I think of Brian, and the Good Shepherd... God forever by his side, with every sidewalk eating stride. 

And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed (Deuteronomy 31:8). 








No comments:

Post a Comment