Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Command and Control

I like the Biblical story of Noah and the ark, with animals entering two by two, male and female of each species:

And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons' wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood. Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth, there went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, as God had commanded Noah (Genesis 7:7-9)

Command and control 
Mans dominion over animals was a command by God: notice, the animals came to Noah... he didn't have to go and round them up. Now look at Noah in Genesis 7:5:

And Noah did according unto all that the Lord commanded him

Command and control, they go hand in hand in this story. It just so happens that God gives commands and when we obey, He gives us control.

Next take a look at who entered the ark: husbands with their wives of the human and animal variety (if you can imagine the animal pairs as bethrothed, male and female of every kind 
went in two and two unto Noah into the ark

Contemplating the why part
I said I like this story, and I am contemplating the why part, where I want to go with this piece of writing. I started out thinking about my single hood, about having been a part of a pair, one male, one female. Two becoming one, in every sense of the word, and there is the culminating proof, in a child being born to the couple. 

In my case, this explains my sons existence... well kind of... I have no idea how to make hands, feet, fingers and toes, not to mention eyes that melt my heart. We made a baby, and he grew but believe me when I say, this "happened" without any effort on my part, except a whole lot of eating!

Male and female
Now back to the story. I still believe in pairs, the two by two of a male and a female. I find it curious that the ark animals, the ones that made it onto the big boat, knew to go to Noah. It feels compelling somehow: magnetic and mystifying. Noah too, felt compelled in spite of what I am confident looked mighty strange and foolish to many, until of course, the ... waters of the flood were upon the earth (Genesis 7:10).

A righteous man
Now dear reader, I will come to the why part of me liking the story. God is in command and He does, when we obey, give us control. Noah did not have to obey, he could have saved himself a whole lot of work and trouble. He could have just been a business-as-usual-kind-of-guy and ignored Gods instructions, but alas, ... Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God (Genesis 6:9). Noah's willingness to do Gods bidding saved him, his family, and every kind of creature that roamed the earth at the time. He was a rare kind of guy, to say the least!

Now, you know this writing is about you, and me, right dear reader? What kind of guy or gal are you? Have you been commanded in any way, by God? If you are not sure of the answer to this question, I recommend you read your Bible because indeed, the answers are there for you to quickly and easily discover. 

You may not like the answers but well, your relationship with God is at stake, so perhaps you can consider Gods commands as a form of saving grace, keeping you from being swept away by an immoral flood tide?

It's not a match made in heaven, unless...
I am single. In a world that does not like to see people as single, solo acts, there is a great deal of pressure to become a pair, regardless of a match: it would appear, almost any match will do, according to societal edicts and sometimes, someone is better than no one, can rule a persons lonely heart. Not mine, dear reader... I have been commanded thusly:

But if the unbeliever depart, let him depart. A bother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace 
(1 Corinthians 7:15)

Two by two
The purrrfect pair
I belong to the Lord Jesus Christ. I am not bound in marriage any longer, but I have been commanded, and this gives me much control dear one, and it does you too. 

The two by two is a God thing. The mating is a God design. The pairing is according to His will, not mine, not yours. He chooses partners for us and when he does the pair picking, the selecting, the match is always perfect. I sure do hope this gives you cause for pause. 

Wait on Him dear reader. You don't have to hurry or worry: if you have desire in your heart to have a partner in life, it is because He placed it there: He will also put the purrrfect man or woman right next to you so you can walk side by side, just as He commands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment