Thursday, May 10, 2018

Depth and Height

Human range of emotion and expression
From the depths of despair to the heights of heaven. Our range of human emotion and expression can be extreme. Yesterday marked a year for me. May 9th was an anniversary marking twenty-six years and then oddly, this calendar day represented something else entirely. Next year it will not be twenty-seven years, it will be year two. Can you guess at what I am subtly hinting? The end of one thing becomes the beginning of something new, isn't that right dear reader?

Pit of hell, soaring like eagles
I am a private person, even as I pour my heart out onto typed page. Faint blood stains mingled with tears can be detected if you look closely enough. This is the marvel of being a human. We get to travel into the pit of hell and conversely, soar like eagles flying high and close to the sun. I wouldn't have it any other way, even as I choke back the bitterness of self pitying tears. The hope and the longing is always for unity but to have this is phantasmal, a pipe dream of sorts. I say this now, while I contemplate aloneness but I know what being one means. I know how it feels to be a part of... The best part of you is me and the best part of me is you, isn't this true dear one, when we are in synch with one another? It is a marvel to become one.

Aloneness. Al one ness. How can it be that separating the letters makes for such a different meaning dear one? How is this possible? Being one with another is so tenuous it seems, fragile in so many ways. A bonding agent is required, or perhaps, a third cord?

And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:12)

The image of a braided rope comes to mind. The braid consists of cords, you, me, and God with perhaps an intelligent rearrangement of that order. You and me wrapped tightly and closely to God, fortifying us, strengthening us: unbreakable all-one-ness. I like the hyphens, don't you? Maybe you prefer the original spelling, aloneness: this is a statement about your heart; your life preference.

Threefold is not quickly broken
A Love Knot
I know that I cannot have what I want in relationship without God as the cord, the strength in the rope that I cling to with another. He is the bonding agent, the Great Unifier and without him, two cords are like cooked starch-less spaghetti noodles that crumple in a messy heap wherever they happen to fall. You cannot climb out of the depths of despair without a good solid rope to grab hold of to hoist you up and out of the pit. Two shall withstand; threefold is not quickly broken. Withstanding means against attack. Withstanding suggests taking a solid stand together and fighting as a unified force. Against what, you ask? The attacks from those who would have division... you can fill in your own blanks here.

Are you willing to ask for help?
If you are suffering from relationship weakness and feel that your rope is about to snap, check for fraying. Check to see what the cords are made of and how many there are dear one. Is there a missing cord? Has God been invited in to strengthen the rope? Are you willing to ask for his help? If you are still in relationship, there is time, you can do something now. Open your eyes to the possibilities and take some risks that may very well change the trajectory of your future.

What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder (Mark 10:9)

God as life line. He saves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment