Thursday, October 12, 2017

Surfacing Suffering and Joy

Life's been rough
I have had a rough couple of days. I have had a rough couple of weeks. I have had a rough couple of months. I have had a rough couple of years. I have had a rough couple of decades...
   
Hearing the words, recognizing the pain
Have you heard someone say these words? Have you spoken them about yourself or someone else? I work as a coach and I am like a heat seeking missile, when I see emotion surfacing in my clients. When a client glows with memories of themselves that delight their spirit, I know we are on holy ground. When a clients facial expression clouds over and tears streak their cheeks, I know that we have entered a secret place of suffering. Both expressions of experiences gone by, are indicators of the inner life, the world inside of the individual as they play back in vivid, coloured memory, what has elevated and alternatively, what has decimated them. 

We all have them, don't we dear reader, the memories? The ones that heal and the ones that hurt, as they are resurrected for our review?
   
Memories unearth our root thoughts
Memories serve a magnificent purpose. When unearthed, roots and all, we get to feel and scrutinize the sentiments that go along with the memories; the thoughts and sometimes the deals or contracts, usually unspoken, that we made with ourselves consciously, but more often unconsciously, when we made certain decisions. 

Who we are and who we become, are directly related to the surfacing of suffering and, wonderfully, the surfacing of joy! We get to choose pleasure over pain, kindness over cruelty, acceptance over rejection, healing over hurting, resolution over complacency, and ultimately, love over hate. There is no point in suffering dear reader, if you remain there, in it. Suffering is a certainty, what you and I choose while in it, is up to each of us:

My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; Yea, if thou cries after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seeks her as silver and searches for her as for hid treasures; Then shall thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God (Proverbs 2:1-5).
   
Letting joy lead the way
The verse above comes from the book of wisdom, and speaks of knowledge of God in understanding. You could mire yourself in muck, getting stuck as your struggle to pull yourself free or, you can freely ask God to pull you out, to help you understand and place you on the path of peace. Our memories, our surfacing of suffering and joy, serve as indicators of where God wants us to go. Letting joy lead the way will take you out of suffering and you, my dear, will create new memories to savour and revisit whenever you choose.
   
Processing pain to get to joy is hard work
Joy is a choice
*Please note: I am a certified professional coach, trained to work with clients in the processing of their emotional memories for the purpose of moving toward a richly fulfilling life. There is nothing easy about the work clients do as they move from earthly to heavenly realms of being and understanding. And yet, there is nothing more glorious to witness than a person being set free

One more Lord, just one more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment