Thursday, October 19, 2017

Family

And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother (Matthew 12:49-50)

What do you think of when you hear the word discipline?

I love the word discipline. I haven't always lived into this word, defined as: 
  • the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behaviour;
  • using punishment to correct disobedience; 
  • controlled behaviour resulting from such training; 
  • activity that provides mental or physical training; 
  • a branch of knowledge, typically one studied in higher education.
I already know this stuff
Did I lose you up above in the definition of discipline? Did you shrug and say to yourself, yeah yeah, this I already know? When I look at the layered meaning of the word discipline, I pick out the big concepts. Training, obey, code of behaviour. This is intriguing and suggests an ethic, a way of living based on specific foundational believes and principals. Next we have punishment or correction with controlling of behaviour: I think of my work here

Discipline applied in work
As a fitness trainer, I correct posture and positioning, when clients are lifting weights. I ensure alignment for the protection of joints, ligaments and tendons, and the muscles attached there. There is a right way, and to do it the wrong way would punish the body. 

Next in discipline, we have mental training as it relates to knowledge and higher education, in a particular branch of study. This is the definition that excites me the most dear reader, because this is the reward of a life of discipleship! 

Do you see it as I do? We must do the hard work, follow hard on the heels of perfect example, and be corrected along the way to ensure the results we seek, a form of higher intellect in our chosen course of study, becoming experts in the end.
   
How to relate scripture to real life
How does this relate to the scripture quoted above, you ask? It is the company we keep dear reader, that I point toward. 
There is an expression that I have heard throughout my life "Tell me who you go with and I will tell you who you are". 

We are family, all part of the human race, this is DNA truth. But, dear reader, and there is a but, we are often times estranged relatives, distant cousins unable to relate, let alone call each other family. Jesus is clear in His pointing, that His family does the will of His Father, our Father in heaven, and this gives us the privilege of being family, heirs to the kingdom. making us Princes and Princesses, brothers and sisters in Christ. It is a grace filled, faithful gift He bestows on His disciples, those willing to be disciplined and trained, obey and live as He shows us to live, according to Gods will.
   
Radical change requires radical perseverance

I haven't always lived a life of discipline, and I am confident you haven't either. Radical change requires radical perseverance, in the face of obstacles and challenges and this, my dear one, is the training required to make us strong and elevate our mental, emotional and ultimately, spiritual capacities. Our reward awaits, and there is family in heaven and on earth, cheering us on. 

We are family, I got all my sisters (and brothers with me. Get up everybody and dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment