Monday, June 5, 2017

Hoodwinked

The wool, pulled over your eyes

Have you ever been hoodwinked? In case you don't know the meaning of the word, it is to be deceived or tricked. I am not sure why but the sound of the word as it comes off of the tongue is appealing-perhaps it is the word inside of the word, wink!

Being tricked is not so nice

Deception is the dark side
Now, let's get serious. To be deceived or tricked is not so nice and no one wants to be played for the fool. When someone has pulled the wool over our eyes, another interesting set of combined words, we can become quite indignant. Injury to our pride can be an aggressive reminder that someone got the better of us. Look dear reader, at all of the ways to express having been subjected to someone else's purposeful deception for their own gain.

Do not be deceived

Now, let's get playful. We cannot be hoodwinked, deceived, tricked, have the wool pulled over our eyes or have someone get the better of us when we know what the trickster is up to. There is an admonishment in The Bible and it is this "do not be deceived". But we have been, haven't we dear reader? I mean really, who hasn't? There is an expression, once burned, twice shy. Another expression is fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me! Call me crazy but I distinctly heard God said to me last night, earlier today and this evening, "Don't take your current circumstances too seriously. Have a good laugh at them because I have it all covered." In other words, he suggested that I not be hoodwinked, that I not believe what the devil would want to convince me of. The devil is a liar, known by another name, deceiver.

Truth teller of diabolical deceiver

Now let's get serious again. There are characters in our lives that can be tricky, deceptive, hoodwinkers. They are you, me and the devil plus his black hearted fallen angel crew. We decide who we are and who we will be in relation to others. Truth teller or diabolic deceiver? Do we protect one another by giving and getting or do we take until it hurts the other? I am not a hoodwinker dear reader. I do not deceive myself or others. In fact, I pride myself on the character strength of truth telling and integrity. How about you? There is a command and a natural law all wrapped up in one bit of scripture "Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap" (Galatians 6:7).

Letting go and letting God

I have been deceived. You have too at one point or another and what we get to decide is whether or not we take it too seriously. Whether or not it makes or breaks us as humans. Do we trust in the law that justice prevails? If we do, do we let go and let God, as he suggested to me repeatedly in his admonishments to laugh because he has it all covered? What if God likes to wink at us and see if we take notice? Sowing and reaping are natural laws. At harvest time, the seeds we have sown undeniably become plants, evidence of what resides in our minds and hearts. Proof perfect of who we truly are. Who are you, really? 

No comments:

Post a Comment