Sunday, March 4, 2018

Missing the Point

Dear reader, have you ever missed the point? Have you reflected upon a conversation and observed yourself in it, reliving the exchange with another and realized, oh my, I completely missed the point? They, the person you spoke with, intoned one thing and you, staying on a well worn thought track, spoke of another, only to discover upon examination that an opportunity for true connection has been lost? I'm there right now dear one, shaking my head in consternation, because I know this is the case for me but alas, since I am writing and you are reading, it means I have grasped and taken firm hold of the point: which I am about to make.

John 3:16 may as well be Jesus 3:16, in fact, all Bible books from Genesis 1:1-Revelation 22:21 can be commended to Christ in all their God inspired glory. 

The whole of the Bible is authored by God. This is the point that I have missed, and am now grasping and taking firm hold. My study Bible has Jesus' words written in red, and it is He that is quoted in John 3:16, not John. While this may seem ridiculously apparent to many, it is a dumbfounding truth for me in this moment as I write, especially with Easter approaching. John 3:16 is well quoted, and if you have yet to read it, and record it on your heart as the indelible truth, then I encourage you now to do so (find it below).

It is John 3:19-21 that draws me to itself and I invite you to examine this with me:

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God (John 3:19-21)

These are not John's words or the words of a scribe; simply eye-witness reporting. These targeting words are those of Jesus Christ. Look at them again. Jesus speaks in legalese and this is the dividing line for many of us. 

There is a verdict of condemnation light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil
  • Is this you He describes? Scripture shines light on us dear reader, on what we love
  • Is it your desire to hide your deeds in the dark so as not to be exposed, so that you will not be judged and be given a guilty verdict?
Dear reader, you cannot hide: 

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God (John 3:18)

Condemned is a punishment, a death sentence dear reader; rejection of God's Son has within it the verdict of death. 

I ask you now, please do not miss this point. These are Jesus' own words, about Himself 

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten So, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved (John 3:16-17)

He, loves, you. He loves you. He lovvvvvesYOU. Don't miss this point... 

He loves you 

No comments:

Post a Comment