Managing expectations is an interesting concept, and I wonder if it means:
1. Not expecting anything at all
2. Hoping for the best while expecting the worst
3. Desire dashed with bruised feelings and a hurt heart
4. Accepting that what a person wants and what comes their way, may not be the very same thing; which leaves one disappointed and disillusioned
5. Knowing that a wish list is probably out of sync with real time possibilities
It took me to write out 5. to get to the starting point. of where we are headed in this piece of writing.
As a Christian, reading The Bible has always filled me with awestruck wonder. Christ is magnificent and when I read of him, how merciful, kind, and powerful he was in human form, representing his kingdom, while walking the earth, I have been filled with longing. To meet a man like Jesus, would take my breath away, and yet, they are few and far between. I met one elderly gentleman long ago, that seemed to touch heaven with his words, and the thought of him makes me teary every time I revisit the brief encounter. The only other times I have had the astounding pleasure of meeting godly men, is in the pages of books, written by the likes of Spurgeon, Matthew Henry, C. S Lewis, and of course, the Holy Spirit filled men that were divinely inspired to write scripture, apostles and disciples, like Paul, John, and one of my favourites, the half brother of Jesus in the flesh, James.
I haven't any expectations now, when I meet other humans: I do not anticipate people loving the truth, openly and joyfully proclaiming their love for God, nor do I think them likely, to live in a manner that shouts, I am wholly dependent upon God, for all of his blessings and benevolence. I don't believe that when someone calls themselves a Christian, that they actually are Bible reading, follow in Christ's footsteps, lovers of the Almighty... real Christians are few and far between, and each one, must do the work, of reconciling self, with the Lord of glory on a daily basis, since we all fall short of said glory, more often then not.
All this to say, that to attribute Christ like character traits to other humans, is an err in judgment at this point, because there truly are, expectations hitched to our beliefs, that can lead us down a weedy garden path, to misery and perpetual unrest. Christ is the ideal, not only because he was perfect while in human form, but because he was God incarnate while in the body, and it is virtually impossible to be created in his image, and not feel as though we are far from the archetype, and yet...
And yet... there is hope, always hope, dear one! The expression, When you know better, you do better, is such a sweet source of encouragement. Humanity is indelibly stamped with the Makers water mark, and we are capable, we are capable I say, of living like Jesus! Being like Jesus! Loving like Jesus! Men and women of God have dotted history, that lived and loved like Jesus to the point of being persecuted and having their blood shed for their faith, and this is happening still, and will of course, continue until this world is rolled up like a scroll and all stand before The Lord of glory, on judgment day.
I know I will be found wanting. I am confident many will find themselves condemnable. I also know that God is longsuffering and merciful toward the repentant, and there isn't a soul living or dead, that will be spared his righteous judgment.
You know yourself, dear one. You know all about your own twisted, wicked, nasty character traits and flaws. You know when you are being kind and generous, thoughtful and honest. You are capable of being a horrible person, and you are more than capable, of being loving and sweet. You choose the demonic or choose the saintly side, and it is up to you, to be honest with yourself:
Are you, or are you not, like Jesus?
If you are like him, how will any of us know this to be true?
Do you expect to be like Jesus anytime soon?
How will you ensure that your life, looks like his did, while he walked the earth?
I don't expect much anymore, when I meet a new person. I am not attached to them behaving a certain way, or believing certain things, but I will tell you this: I am delighted each time I meet a sweet and sincere human, that says what they mean, means what they say, and follows through each time they make a promise. This type of person can be counted on, and when I meet someone of this calibre, I get a glimpse of God's glory, and a little taste of heaven on earth.
Soul brushing and embracing, enriches both parties. Expectations do not have to be managed, when we meet our others, because love closed and fills in the gaps that separate. Your others, dear one, are few and far between, and when you meet a kindred, you will know it, because your spirit will sore heavenward, and your heart will fill with gladness.
Listen now, to the godly wisdom, of Paul the apostle to the gentiles:
Romans 12:10-18
Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulations; continuing instant in prayer; distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. Bless them which persecute you; bless, and curse not. Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

No comments:
Post a Comment